Bempton Cliffs

Need advice on where to watch wildlife or want to tell others about a great wildlife hotspot?

Bempton Cliffs

Postby Pross1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Can anyone tell me when the best time is to visit Bempton Cliffs? I would really like to go when the puffins are there.
Pross1

RE: Bempton Cliffs

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:10 am

I used to go there with my local RSPB group in June. I think the Puffins start leaving at the end of July, but check with the reserve.

Though plenty of Puffins are there, for sure, Bempton is not necessarily the best place to see them if that is your chief objective. The cliffs are quite dangerous so there is a limit how close you can get to the grassy edge, whereas at, say, Skomer Island or the Farne Islands the Puffins will almost be tripping over your feet.

My main memories of Bempton are the incessant din created by all the Kittiwakes shouting their name, and the Guillemots clinging to the tiniest ledges imaginable. And of course the setting is just spectacular.
Ben

Postby kimbers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:36 pm

I have not been to Bempton Cliffs ,but I agree with Ben one of the best places to see Puffins is Skomer Island . You just have to be careful you do not get in their way, when feeding their chicks . Although their number has lessened in the past few years , there still quite a few around . Best time around May/June .
kimbers

Postby ratty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 pm

I believe Bempton is the only mainland gannet colony and is worth a visit if only for that. I've not been there since the rspb took over, you used to be able to get close to the edge and see the iron channels where the "climmers" ropes went over The smell and noise is something you'll never forget.
ratty

Postby Jim Walker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 pm

I went to Bempton last year with my boys. When we went, July, there were only a couple of puffin on the cliffs. May/June is the best time to go.

There are a series of observation points along the cliff top. It's a nice place to do some birding, watch butterflies and just relax really.

The one thing I would recommend is a boat trip out from Bridlington. We went on one arranged by the RSPB on the Yorkshire Belle, didn't cost an awful lot, around £15 for three of us. The trip was two and half hours long and although there weren't any puffin on the cliffs we did get to see some at sea, also managed to get fairly close to a flock of feeding gannets. We all loved the trip.
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Jim Walker

Return to Places to Go