Essex garden Spring preparation!

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

Essex garden Spring preparation!

Postby Chelseabrooke29 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Hello everyone and welcome to my first blog post on this forum! :)

I got so excited when I read that we can become local patch reporters for our area so I fired up this bad boy and thought I'd share my spring preparation updates with all you fellow nature lovers! Hopefully you'll find it an interesting read and haven't lost interest already! (come back!)

In my spare time I love to try and photograph whatever wildlife is in and around Essex. You can follow my instagram @chelseajasmine29 to see more!

As Spring is FINALLY approaching, a few weeks ago I began my garden Spring preparation by cleaning out my bird boxes ready for their new residents! I thought oooh this is a good time to have a nose about to see what, if anything, the birds have left behind! Now this was a bit of a let down as in my mind I was expecting to find all these treasures and broken egg shells to really tell a story. Nope. Just feathers and poop! :lol: Although it did give me an interesting insight to what nesting materials were used such as dried grass, leaves and bits of moss.
I was bracing myself to the fact that a neglected chick might have been in there somewhere, but thank god this wasn't the case. All chicks were happy and healthy and fledged with no problems. (phew!)

Now I find it interesting that the only occupied bird box last year was one of our bigger ones that actually has 3 separate compartments and entrances for more birds to nest together into one.
Now rewind back to Spring. I was a bit sceptical of this type of bird box as I know that certain birds, if not all birds, can be extremely territorial when it comes to their young, so this type puzzled me. None the less I tried it out and it was a winner for our local Great Tits! I couldn't tell you the excitement that I felt when I saw something fly out from our hedge where the bird box is located! At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me as in the 7 years we have lived here, we have never had any birds nest in our boxes, despite the different shapes and sizes located around the garden.

I hope you all have your bird boxes up nice and clean and ready to observe from afar, please let me know if you have had any previous residents in your garden and what type of nesting site they preferred!

Chelsea,
Essex.

xo
Last edited by Chelseabrooke29 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chelseabrooke29

Re: Essex garden Spring preparation!

Postby Chelseabrooke29 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Oops sorry my images above don't seem to be working! I will try and get them working hopefully soon!
Chelseabrooke29

Return to Local Patch Reporters