Exploring Wildlife - a Surrey blog by Thomas, age 16

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi,

Yesterday, I went to Papercourt Meadows again for the evening shift. Sightings included a Barn Owl, Kingfisher and Kestrels. The mist also rolled in as it got later, as you'll see!

click here to see the post!

Extract:
" As our walk hadn't lasted that long as it was, we decided to walk a short way down the canal before we headed home. Great decision. Less than a minute down the path, another Kingfisher flew over our heads and perched on the metal fencing over the canal."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi,

New guest post up on the blog, this time from Tommy Thompson Park in Toronto, Canada. Featuring Blue Jays, a Peregrine, Painted Turtles and a furry caterpillar.

Extract:
"About an hours run from downtown Toronto is Tommy Thompson Park (TTP). Located on the Toronto waterfront, TTP is a unique urban wilderness found on a man-made peninsula, known as the Leslie Street Spit, which extends five km into Lake Ontario and is over 500 hectares in size. It is teeming with wildlife !!!"
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi,

New post up on the blog! We returned to Papercourt over the weekend, and were treated with views of Meadow Pipits, Stonechats and a hunting Barn Owl, not to mention a stunning sunset!

Extract:
"It had been a few days since the last sighting, and the likelihood is they might have just used Papercourt as a stop-off before heading further south. But as we turned back we saw an owl. Not a Short-eared, but a Barn Owl, hunting around the area that we had started our walk. We hastily began to walk back towards the first area. Around half way back, we saw the flash of white feathers again. The owl was moving around the bottom end of the reserve, crossing across the river every now and then into different fields. By the time we reached a good spot, our attention was turned to the sky. An incredibly vivid orange-pink sunset was developing, like something you would expect to see on an African savannah. The sky looked like it was on fire!"
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi,

We returned to Papercourt for the start of the new month, and were greeted by flocks of various garden birds, and a Goldcrest. Have a look!

Extract:
"A Goldcrest. Britain's smallest bird. These birds commonly travel around with flocks of other small birds in autumn and winter, mainly for protection, which must have been what this individual was doing. I spent the next 5 or 10 minutes trying to grab a photo but it wouldn't sit still. When it finally settled down, it chose the top of a small tree, meaning I could only get a silhouette."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi,

In the new post now up on my blog, I talk about the recent conservation success of Sierra del Divisor National Park, and the threats facing the Amazon. Have a look!

Extract:
"On the 8th November, the Peruvian Prime Minister confirmed the protection of 3.3 million acres of Amazon rainforest in a massive national park, bigger than Yosemite and Yellowstone combined. What's more, this new national park is the final link in a 67 million acre conservation corridor through the Amazonian rainforest."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi,

Over the weekend we put the camera-trap out again at the Marlborough badger sett, and got some great footage. Have a look!

Extract:
"Interestingly, the camera-trap wasn't triggered a lot during this time period, so the badger must have been feeding elsewhere, occasionally coming back to the camera-trap to investigate. Of course, there may have been different individuals at the camera-trap throughout the night, but it's hard to tell."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi,

I went to Chobham Common on Saturday, and got pictures of Dartford Warblers and Red Kites. Now up on the blog!

Extract:
"A Dartford Warbler hopped up onto the top of a bush, but as I went to get a photo, it flew off into the heather, joined by a second!

I spent the next ten minutes or so waiting in the same area, hoping to get a picture of the bird. Then, just as I was about to give up, one sat on top of a small bush out in the open, allowing me to grab some clear pictures of a bird I have tried so many times before to get a clear photo of."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi,

The COP21 climate talks in Paris brought up forest conservation, and proposed various ways to help save forests, which in turn would help slow the process of global warming. The future of our forests is looking brighter.

Extract:
"Deforestation and the destruction of the world's forests, as well as destroying habitats, also accelerates climate change. In fact, deforestation contributes to 10% of global carbon emissions. This makes the highlighting of this issue in Paris even more significant."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi,

My penultimate post of the year is now up on the blog - this time from the Alkborough Flats, featuring Marsh Harriers, Lapwing, Redshank and Godwits. Link below!

Extract:
"Whilst the waders were feeding at flying at the front of the scrape, the Marsh Harriers were busy hunting over the dense reed beds that surround the water. Over the three of four visits to the flats, we saw at least 3 different individual harriers, each hunting over different parts of the overall area. They were, as usual, wonderful to watch, and we saw them every time we went down, without fail."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi,

Happy New Year!
I have a new post up with a link to an interview I did on the Rainforest Trust website, and some information on the charity and why I support rainforest conservation. Have a look!

Extract:
"So when I got back to the UK, I contacted a US-based rainforest charity, The Rainforest Trust, to see how I could get involved. I was given the opportunity to do an interview for their website about Borneo (link below). In the interview, I talk about my trip to Borneo, the highlights, awareness about rainforest conservation, and how students and young people can help to get involved in conservation."
exploring.wildlife.26465

PreviousNext

Return to Local Patch Reporters