Exploring Wildlife - a Surrey blog by Thomas, age 16

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

Exploring Wildlife - a Surrey blog by Thomas, age 16

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi,

My name is Thomas, I am 16 years old, and I run 'Exploring Wildlife' - a natural history blog from Surrey, UK. I have been running it for 5 years now, using it as a place to write about nature and my experiences. On my blog, I write about anything from visits to sites in Surrey, to conservation news and experiences abroad.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy your time on my blog.

My blog: exploringwildlife.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter: @EWBlog

Please feel free to leave comments and questions below
Last edited by exploring.wildlife.26465 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 22 times in total.
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi,

There is now a new post up on my blog, with the story of my trip to Thursley Common at the weekend. We had exciting sightings of Dartford Warblers, Green Woodpeckers and more, so head over to the blog and have a look!

click here to see the post!

Extract:
"We approached carefully, making sure we didn't scare it away. But when we arrived, we couldn't see any movement or hear any birdsong. It was eerily quiet. In fact, we had barely seen any birds by this point, apart from a few crows flying over. It certainly wasn't looking promising."
Last edited by exploring.wildlife.26465 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi

I just posted another story on my blog, the first from Pembrokeshire, Wales. I went on a 4 hour walk down Tenby's South Beach yesterday, and it produced some amazing finds, such as a decent sized Jellyfish and many Ringed Plover.

click here to see the post

Extract:
"There was a small crowd of small birds, who looked brilliantly camouflaged against the pebbles and the sand of the beach. I would have to get closer to confirm what they were. I crept around the back of them, hoping not to be seen, and my method worked. I managed to get a lot closer than I expected, which allowed me to take some photos and to identify them."
Last edited by exploring.wildlife.26465 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi

A new post is up on my blog, the second from my trip to Pembrokeshire, Wales. Connected to Tenby's North Beach is a hidden area, cut off from the public at high tide. It supports a healthy population of Northern Fulmar, who can safely live and breed. And so close to the seaside holiday town of Tenby! I visited twice, and all the information is included in this new post.

Extract:
"It is brilliant that these seabirds can live and breed so close to us, and have this area, so close to a seaside holiday town, where they can live in peace. The Northern Fulmar population is increasing here in Britain, which is a promising sign that maybe other seabirds can follow."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Re: Exploring Wildlife - a blog from Surrey

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi

I just posted another story on my blog, the last from Pembrokeshire, Wales. It features all of the other amazing wildlife we saw that haven't been mentioned in other posts from Wales, and has three videos included!

Extract:
"Unfortunately, we didn't see any porpoises, but we did see quite a lot of birds, including two Chough. These are very special birds who are often seen around cliffs, with a beautiful, vivid red bill, and red legs."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Postby Matt Swaine » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Thomas

Great blog. Trip to Wales sounds great. It's a part of the country I love. I've see porpoise there but never see a chough along the coastline.

Super videos
Matt
Matt Swaine

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Matt Swaine wrote:Hi Thomas

Great blog. Trip to Wales sounds great. It's a part of the country I love. I've see porpoise there but never see a chough along the coastline.

Super videos
Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for your comments, and I am very glad that you like the videos. I have visited that area of Wales for three years now, and the Chough was a first for me in that area as well. I haven't seen porpoises in Wales yet though, so that's an aim for next time!

Thanks again for your feedback,
Thomas
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi,

A new post is now up on my blog. I have been in Marlborough, Wiltshire today, and I went for a walk which turned out to be quite productive, and we saw many animals we don't regularly see. I also managed to grab some film of Roe Deer which is featured as well.

click here to see the post!

Extract
"Our first spot was literally from right next to the car, and immediately after climbing out. There were, among many pheasants, a few smaller shapes in the field. On closer inspection, they turned out to be Red Legged Partridge. And they were beautiful. They were foraging amongst the fields, probably for they main source of food: seeds and roots."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi,

Another post is now up on my blog. In fact it is quite a special post. We have 4 videos from the two badger setts we have been watching with camera-traps. The badgers have really been being inquisitive recently, and coming right up to the lens to investigate. This has lead to some very good footage.

Extract:
"The setts always produce some fantastic images, but this time we have some footage as well to share with you. The badgers were very inquisitive this time, and came right up to the camera-trap, to investigate it, and thus allowing us to get some fantastic images of them. The videos featured here are a mix of the best from both setts. Enjoy!"
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi,

The voting for Britain's National Bird has officially begun, and I have placed my vote. Head over to the link below to see which bird I have voted for. I apologise for not posting about any trips out recently, but I am going to the Outer Hebrides very soon, and I will be posting daily, so be sure to check out all those posts when they are put up.

Extract:
"In some cases, the national bird is a species endemic to the country, which would for obvious reasons represent the country, as they can be found nowhere else. Britain has a few endemic species, such as the Scottish Crossbill, but very few people have ever heard of them, let alone seen one. If a bird represents the country, it should represent the people as well."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Next

Return to Local Patch Reporters