Kingfishers in Essex?

Need advice on where to watch wildlife or want to tell others about a great wildlife hotspot?

Kingfishers in Essex?

Postby mark » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:10 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and hoping someone here can help me out. I live in Essex and I really want to find a location where I can photograph Kingfishers. Now, I am not really the sort to sit in a hide at a reserve so ideally looking for a river where I can move around a bit (not too much) and capture these little guys without too many other people around - I prefer the solitary life when taking nature shots (I am a professional wedding photographer by trade so sometimes its nice to be by oneself). If anyone knows of a location then it would be great if they could share it with me.

If you want to check out some of my nature shots then you can [url=http://www.eyecandyphotographic.co.uk/mark/]by clicking here![/url]. I am a bit of a stickler for deer photos as you can tell.

Thanks!

Mark
mark

RE: Kingfishers in Essex?

Postby Pross1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:46 am

Mark,

I don't know about Essex, but when I lived in Kent I used to fish at a place called Yalding on the River Medway. If you park in the main grass car park and walk to the weir pool, this was a hotspot for kingfishers, as was the stream that feeds in from the left. Go mid-week or early/late on a weekend. You can just sit & wait, with no need for a hide. I have also seen mink here too.
Pross1

Postby JayJay » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:03 pm

I don't know whereabouts in Essex you are, but here is a link to the Reserve where I'm volunteer. Apparently a Kingfisher sometimes passes through and rests on the stick in the middle of the main pond.
[url=http://www.harlow.gov.uk/about_the_council/council_services/leisure_and_culture/leisure_activities/parndon_wood_nature_reserve/parndon_wood.aspx]Click[/url]

A few years ago Kingfishers were seen along the River Stort, too. I haven't been lucky enough to see them. Anyway, another link;

[url=http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-articles/features/the-river-stort-sculpture-trail/attractions-along-the-trail]Click[/url]

[b]On Edit[/b] Meant to say, your photos are beautiful.
JayJay

Postby Coelacanth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 pm

River Cam would be a good start, I'd explore it from maybe Audley End downstream. They'll be right in the middle of Cambridge (not Essex I know but close enough) during the early morning, to get one against Uni buildings would be a good shot. Sit quiet and use your ears, the first thing you'll notice is the piping call (especially now while they're feeding young), then train yourself to look ahead of the call for the bird itself. The Stort is another location, local canals, Lea Valley, and slightly later in the Summer head coastwards, there will be lots of YOY fattening up on shrimps, elvers, gobies, stickies etc. in the brackish creeks.
Coelacanth

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:26 pm

River Cam would be a good start, I'd explore it from maybe Audley End downstream. They'll be right in the middle of Cambridge

I've seen them in central Cambridge too - that was back in my student days though! From Magdalene Bridge.

But my tip, Mark, would be to find a wetland reserve with hides and visit midweek early in the morning, when you may just get the hide to yourself for your photography. I've seen kingfishers well from hides at Minsmere (though that's always busy!), Leighton Moss (a long way from you) and Rye Meads (another RSPB reserve, perhaps a better bet for your purposes) among other places. Rye Meads is in the Lea Valley, which Coelacanth suggested trying. I used to go there when I lived in London - it's a great little pocket-sized reserve.

PS Love the bh gull pic on your website, Mark.
Ben

Return to Places to Go