Local Patch Report Strumpshaw Fen

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

Re: Local Patch Report Strumpshaw Fen

Postby Wildlife Garden » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:17 pm

I like your Blog, really interesting stuff...
I know what you mean about the camera and focussing, will your camera do manual focus ?
Dave G
Wildlife Garden

Postby seanspetbird » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:07 pm

My camera is a Canon PowerShot. It does have manual focus but its quite slow in reacting. I point my camera at a stump, for example, and a few seconds from getting it in focus it blurs out again and takes a little while to get back in focus. By the time it does this, the bird arrives and leaves while I fight the focus to try to get a sharpe image. Another issue I have is trying to get a shot of a bird like a long-tailed tit on a branch. It takes me forever to find it in the camera. I can't really see through the tiny viewing lens so I use the screen instead. Anyway, by the time I press the button to take a picture, the force of my finger pressing the button pushes the camera down and messes the shot up. I know a tripod will keep me steady but the bird is too mobile and so I try without which is harder to do. Any tips is welcome. Thank you.
seanspetbird

Postby seanspetbird » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:11 pm

New post on my blog http://seanspetmonster.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... rwich.html Today I visit another local patch, Catton Park. I meet some ancient oak trees, listen out for bird sounds and see some squirrels chasing each other. I also show off a drawing I made of one of my favourite local trees.
seanspetbird

Postby seanspetbird » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:48 pm

New Post on my blog http://seanspetmonster.blogspot.co.uk/ Instore today's blog post, I visit Dersingham Bog and Roydon Common in West Norfolk in search of golden pheasant and great grey shrike. Do I manage to see either? Find out on my blog. Also, I encounter hen harriers, stonechats and fieldfare.
seanspetbird

Postby Seth Burgess » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:02 pm

I won't spoil the surprise for everyone else, but congratulations on the species that you saw! I wonder how many people are watching wildlife today because of The Animals of Farthing Wood?
Seth Burgess
Production editor
BBC Wildlife Magazine
www.discoverwildlife.com
Seth Burgess

Postby seanspetbird » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:52 pm

New blog post http://seanspetmonster.blogspot.co.uk/ For one week only, I do my Strumpshaw shift on a Tuesday. There is a chance for you to name a marsh harrier for me and I get great views of a bittern. Also check out my previous post Jan 10th as I have added a drawing of my hen harriers.
Last edited by seanspetbird on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seanspetbird

Postby seanspetbird » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Seth Burgess wrote:I won't spoil the surprise for everyone else, but congratulations on the species that you saw! I wonder how many people are watching wildlife today because of The Animals of Farthing Wood?

The BBC showed reshow the first series. I loved it as a kid. I collected the magazines, video tapes and figurines at the time. Sadly, I no longer have any of them :(
seanspetbird

Postby seanspetbird » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:35 am

New post on my blog http://seanspetmonster.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... rwich.html Unfortunately I'm having trouble uploading the pictures for it. I will keep trying and I will tell you when I have them up. For now you can read the post without pictures. Sorry for any inconvenience. Todays post is about the starling murmuration in Norwich that I saw yesterday.
seanspetbird

Postby seanspetbird » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:45 am

I am pleased to say that I have sorted out my problem and all pictures of the murmuration is now up on the post. :)
seanspetbird

Postby seanspetbird » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:37 pm

New post on my blog http://seanspetmonster.blogspot.co.uk/ At Strumpshaw today, the sound of drumming fills the air in the woods, everything is frozen over at the Fen and Reception hides and I meet a very friendly pheasant.
seanspetbird

PreviousNext

Return to Local Patch Reporters