Norfolk Wildlife

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

Norfolk Wildlife

Postby Easternbushchat » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 am

I write a blog about the wildlife I encounter around Norfolk and on excursions to other countries. Please dip in and have a look, I'd be interested to know what you think.

The latest post can be found at www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk
Easternbushchat

Re: Norfolk Wildlife

Postby Easternbushchat » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 am

What drives these minute little birds to make the journey? Why do they take such a huge risk? Launching themselves across the cruel broiling sea in a seemingly hopeless attempt to reach more promising feeding areas, safe from the advance of winters bite. The odds are so severely stacked against them, but still they come. And for the past week or so they have arrived in their thousands; Goldcrests mainly, minuscule packages of feathers no bigger than your thumb. On our east facing coast every stand of bushes or trees has held several of these incessantly active bundles of feathers; busy stocking up with the slim pickings of autumnal insect life to replace the energy expended in their epic journey across the featureless waters.

read more at www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Just added some pages to the blog with an account of a trip to South America I took last year. Plenty of images to look at too. The pages can be accessed by linking to www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk and following the tapping the 'pages' tab. Hope you enjoy reading it all. Any feedback welcome.
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:53 am

New post on the blog regarding a quest to see every bee-eater, roller and kingfisher in the world! Read all about it at http://www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk

Lilac-breasted Roller-091014_1.jpg
Lilac-breasted Roller-091014_1.jpg (767.2 KiB) Viewed 7202 times
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:11 am

750A7665 copy_1.jpg
750A7665 copy_1.jpg (532.19 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
New blog post summarising a week in the Portuguese Algarve region.

The minibuses came to a halt, pulling into a conveniently sited recess along a road bisecting gently rolling coastal heathland. Our group of eager nature lovers disgorged as quickly as their maturing bodies would allow in order to see up close booted eagles, a pair, that we had spotted hunting low over the sandy ground. Binoculars were swiftly raised in the expectation these raptors would fly away from the press of humanity pouring from their metal boxes like toothpaste squeezed from a tube, but the eagles had another imperative; the need to find food outweighed their natural fear of all things human. These beautifully marked birds were on migration, moving south from breeding grounds in the north of Portugal, or maybe somewhere in Spain, to spend the winter in Africa. Now encountering the vast expanse of the Atlantic, they would have to change course and move along the southern shores of the Iberian Peninsula to find the narrower crossing point across the Gibraltar Straits. Meanwhile they were seeking sustenance to fuel their marathon southerly flight. We watched in awe as these birds glided to and fro only metres above our heads, scrutinising the ground beneath with razor vision in the quest to locate the eye baffling dart of a lizard, the inquisitive scurrying of a mouse or the clumsy lumbering of a beetle. All would be a welcome snack for a hungry hook-billed migrant..........

Read more at http://www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:06 am

New post extolling the virtues of dead wood, taking the form of a cherry stump standing in our garden. It is host to an astonishing array of wildlife. Read the post at http://www.easternbushchat.blogspot.com
Attachments
IMG_2529 copy_1.jpg
IMG_2529 copy_1.jpg (902.69 KiB) Viewed 6751 times
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi everyone, just published a new blog post giving my thoughts on the issue of extinction and massive declines in wildlife populations. The blog can be accessed at www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk. Hope you enjoy reading it.
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:18 am

There's a new post on the blog at www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk recalling amusing and intriguing encounters I've had over the years whilst manning wildlife hotlines. There's also a mystery picture that may tease some of you. If you have an opinion on what it is then let me know.
Attachments
crab_1.jpg
crab_1.jpg (382.81 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Couldn't help writing about a lovely afternoon spent in the heart of Broadland at Ranworth.

Ranworth, a small and pleasant village in the heart of Broadland is a lovely place to stroll around on a bright winter’s day. I visited earlier this week savouring the blissful peace of the season. Gone now are the pleasure craft jostling for a berth at the busy staithe, the cruisers, canoes, day boats, and dinghies. Gone too are the steady stream of holidaymakers keen to take a short adventure through a freshwater swamp and visit the NWT Broads Wildlife Centre sited at the terminal point of a 500 metre Boardwalk. Gone are the screeching terns, the arrowing hobbies, the chuntering reed warblers and twittering swallows. But all is not still: a new cast of characters has moved in to take advantage of the tranquility. Birds of all kinds are using the unmolested waterways and wet woodland as a winter sanctuary; somewhere to rest and feed to survive another day. Come with me for a walk through this wildlife haven and together let’s see what we can find........

Read the full post at www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk
Easternbushchat

Postby Easternbushchat » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Sometimes it is not easy to stay positive regarding your conservation efforts. I recently had a chat with a friend that inspired my latest blog post. Basically I think we all need a pat on the back because even small actions can help inspire other people to cherish nature. Merry Christams to all and keep up your excellent work :D

Read more at www.easternbushchat.blogspot.co.uk. Featured Blogger of the Month by BBC Wildlife Magazine January 2016.
Easternbushchat

Next

Return to Local Patch Reporters