This Land is Mine

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

This Land is Mine

Postby John Pilkington » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:28 pm

The last days of October have witnessed a change in the behaviour of the Robin that visits our garden.

http://www.ramblesthroughnature.com/blo ... nd-is-mine
John Pilkington

Re: This Land is Mine

Postby John Pilkington » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:21 pm

....or is it? Despite the regularity and consistency of the "territorial displays" by one Robin, I am pretty sure, from differences in their plumage, that there are actually 2 individuals feeding in the garden. So far, their visits have been well separated in time, so no obvious conflict has taken place. Let's hope that the second bird can maintain its "undercover" operations without discovery.
John Pilkington

Postby John Pilkington » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:01 am

This morning, our Robin wasn't at all keen on having a male Chaffinch feeding in the garden. Perhaps the reddish pink colouring on the Chaffinch's face and breast looked too much like that of another Robin, despite the differences in colouration on upper surfaces. The male Chaffinch has only recently started to visit, following an absence of many months, so it will be interesting to see how the relationship develops. A female Chaffinch also pops in occasionally, although not at the same time as the male.
John Pilkington

Postby John Pilkington » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Over the past few days, two robins have often been sharing the garden feeders, arriving and departing at pretty much the same time too. For much of the time, they tolerate each other, provided they are at separate feed locations, only squabbling if they choose the same feeder; even so, they often return in tandem after a short spat. I have read that when the weather is cold and food is in short supply even territorial robins will turn a blind eye and concentrate of feeding, rather than chasing off competitors, but the recent weather has been mild, so this behaviour has been surprising.
John Pilkington

Postby John Pilkington » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Over the past couple of weeks, 2 Robins have often been seen in the garden together, occasionally only centimetres apart, without showing any aggression towards each other. Presuming this is now an established pair, because mating generally starts in the not too distant future.
John Pilkington

Return to Local Patch Reporters