Exploring Wildlife - a Surrey blog by Thomas, age 16

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Latest post: Bornean Orangutan now Critically Endangered

click here to see the post!

Extract:
"I was saddened last week to learn that IUCN has increased the conservation status of the Bornean Orang-utan (pongo pygmaeus) from Endangered to Critically Endangered, the highest risk category on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species and only one step away from extinction.

Erik Meijaard, one of the assessors for IUCN said: “As orangutans are hunted and pushed out of their habitats, losses to this slow-breeding species are enormous and will be extremely difficult to reverse.”, thus explaining the major reasons for the new assessment of this enigmatic species."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:13 am

Latest post: Conservation: Costa Rica Leading By Example after Deforestation Report

Extract:
"Costa Rica has yet again proved itself as one of the most sustainable countries in the world. I was very impressed to read this week that Costa Rica has increased its rainforest cover from a quarter of the total country's surface in the 1980s to over 54% today. This alone is a fantastic statistic, but it becomes even better when presented alongside the following. Costa Rica has also managed to, in the same time, increase food production per person by 26%."
exploring.wildlife.26465

New Post Up!

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Latest post: Bird Ringing in Surrey

Extract:
"I realised recently that one thing I haven't discussed on my blog as of yet is bird ringing. In May, I started training as a bird ringer in Surrey. Not only has it been amazing to see birds I had only really seen before hidden in trees or reeds so close in the hand, but it has taught me so much more about British birds than I could ever had thought, and it feels great to be involved in some national science."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Latest Post:

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:28 pm

Latest post: Conservation: Latest 'Living Planet' Report Reveals Some Worrying Figures

Extract:
"Nature needs a place where it isn't entirely impacted by human interference. But in the majority of the world, where humans are living alongside wildlife of all shapes and sizes, we need to learn to co-exist and protect the species that live alongside us, rather than accelerate them towards extinction."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Latest Post:

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Latest post: Thoughts on Planet Earth II

Extract:
"10 years after the original series blessed our screens and introduced a generation to the wonderful world we live in, it's fair to say Planet Earth II has yet again enchanted the nation. Every Sunday night for the past six weeks, Twitter has been alive with people discussing the series, and evidently revelling in the incredible scenes being presented to them on their television screens."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Latest Post:

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Latest Post: Costa Rica: Part Two - Tortuguero National Park

Extract:
"Another largely arboreal bird species that was very common in the grounds of the lodge was Montezuma Oropendola, a large, very peculiar looking icterid bird that we could see flying and calling from the tops of the tallest trees in the area. They were recognisable by their bright yellow tails and very strange looking heads, with a shiny black and red bill, blue cheeks and red wattle. These birds were also responsible for huge hanging nests that were suspended from numerous trees around the area. The nests are expertly woven to create a safe environment for their young despite being precariously hung 30-odd metres up in the air."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Latest Post:

Postby exploring.wildlife.26465 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Latest post: Turtles on Tortuguero Beach

Extract:
"That was until a flash lit up the entire beach, and for a split second we could see where we were walking. Then, back to darkness. And a few seconds later, the silence was broken by a huge clap of thunder; so loud it was as if someone was hitting a drum next to your ear. When we turned and looked out to sea, our eyes were greeted by the sight of a huge lightning storm raging over the ocean. And what an atmosphere this created. It was immensely exciting already and we hadn't even seen a turtle..."
exploring.wildlife.26465

Previous

Return to Local Patch Reporters