Sojourns in the Wilds (Mumbai, India)

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

Sojourns in the Wilds (Mumbai, India)

Postby Shashank Birla » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi folks,

This is Shashank Birla here from Mumbai, India, a nature enthusiast and writer. I have been blogging and writing for a few national publications since the last couple of years largely based on the topics of nature, travel and birdwatching. Just found this wonderful platform and I thought it would be a good place to share my journeys.

Keeping in consonance with the spirit of this forum, I will only be sharing my stories which involve exploring the biodiversity hotspots in the city I live in, Mumbai. To start off, I will be introducing you to this little citizen science initiative that was started last year. I love birdwatching, and some of the senior birder folks in our city decided to create an informal platform inviting birdwatchers, young and old, to participate in 'birdwalks' at various spots in and around our city. The walks are totally free of cost and the aim is to document the avifauna in specific habitats on platforms such as eBird to serve as records of the area's diversity, which hopefully, will be considered whenever new infrastructure projects are undertaken in our city. I started as a participant and am now one of the co-ordinators also volunteering with this initiative. So, here's an overview of the first walk of the Mumbai Birdwatchers' Club :)

https://shashankbirla.wordpress.com/201 ... ober-2016/
Shashank Birla

Re: Sojourns in the Wilds (Mumbai, India)

Postby Shashank Birla » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Dear all,

Keeping with the theme, sharing the 2nd walk we had done for the month of December. Below are some highlights of how some of the senior birders of the Mumbai Birdwatchers' Club introducing basic concepts of birding and field identification. And well, it's always nice to see flamingos, something our city of Mumbai has become famous for. Sadly this amazing location has witnessed significant destruction of natural habitats over the years for the reasons mentioned in the post. It is hoped that by posting records of such diversity of birdlife that authorities and planners would take due care when going ahead with projects.

https://shashankbirla.wordpress.com/201 ... mber-2016/
Shashank Birla

Return to Local Patch Reporters