When my painting of partridges came alive

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

When my painting of partridges came alive

Postby Robert Fuller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 am

As the snow fell last week I was reminded of one winter morning in similar December snows. I had woken early enough to see the thick blanket of snow lit up by moonlight. My first job each morning was to light the log burners. The cold air took my breath away as I stepped out on to the porch to fetch the wood. The thermometer on the wall read -14ºC. After a quick breakfast I headed out to the car in the dark. As I began to defrost the windscreen the thermometer inside also read -14ºC. The drifts were three to four feet deep along the road, but thankfully a snow plough had just been through.
I was on my way to photograph woodcock and I wanted to be there at dawn. I knew of a pool of spring water at the bottom of a valley where the woodcock congregate and I had already put up a hide to watch them. But as I approached I saw what looked like an unusual mound in the pure white landscape. It turned out to be a group of partridges. They were huddled so closely together you couldn’t pick out an individual. I hoped they would be English, or grey partridges, which I have painted before in snowy landscapes.
At first there was no sign of movement, so I waited until the sun rose. The air was so still; there wasn’t a soul around. I could hear pheasants coming down from their roosts. As the sun started to peak above the horizon, the moon was still high in the sky and crows were calling in a nearby wood, as if announcing day break. Long blue shadows were cast over the snow, reminding me of a painting of red-legged partridges I had just finished.

READ MORE AND SEE THE PHOTOS & PAINTINGS HERE........https://www.robertefuller.com/diary/when-art-fortells-reality-how-one-cold-winter-morning-i-spotted-a-scene-i-had-painted-before/
Robert Fuller

Return to Local Patch Reporters