Cornish Rock Pools

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

Re: Cornish Rock Pools

Postby CornishRockPools » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I've not blogged for a few weeks as my feet haven't touched the ground between rock pooling events - Junior and I even did some filming with Countryfile!

This week, after decades of searching... I've finally seen an octopus! Admittedly I didn't find this one, but it had impeccable timing, turning up on a mollusc course I was teaching in North Devon and was found by an eagle-eyed participant. Amazing!

https://cornishrockpools.com/2018/04/22 ... ock-pools/

Lots of other interesting creatures too - and one that's fascinating, but horrific.

Have a great week,
Heather
CornishRockPools

Postby StuartRae » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:57 am

Yes octopuses are a great find in the rockpools, and they are more commonly found over here in Australia (south coast NSW). My last snorkel here produced a Giant Cuttlefish, cephalopods - brilliant animals.

Keep up those posts.

Stuart
StuartRae

Postby CornishRockPools » Sun May 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks Stuart - I'd love to go snorkelling on your local patch ... although I'm more comfortable finding curled octopus than the blue-ringed variety you get in Australia! Bet the water's a bit warmer there too. :D
All the best, Heather
CornishRockPools

Postby CornishRockPools » Sun May 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi everyone,
I've got a treat for rock pool fans this week - my first pseudoscorpion. These little creatures aren't necessarily uncommon but aren't often seen. Thanks to Steve Trewhella and Julie Hatcher, I finally got to meet one. :D
https://cornishrockpools.com/2018/05/13 ... rful-eggs/
Have a fantastic week,
Heather
CornishRockPools

Previous

Return to Local Patch Reporters