Sparrowhawk Visits

Post your blogs here to be a BBC Wildlife Local Patch Reporter

Sparrowhawk Visits

Postby John Pilkington » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:30 am

About once a year, a Sparrowhawk pops into our garden and causes "havoc" amongst the other visitors.

http://www.ramblesthroughnature.com/blo ... the-garden
John Pilkington

Re: Sparrowhawk Visits

Postby John Pilkington » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:36 pm

A male Sparrowhawk paid us another visit yesterday. Didn't see it arrive, but on looking out of the window into the drizzly gloom, there it was resting on the fence. Couldn't see anything in its claws, so presume this visit was unsuccessful. It was looking over my neighbour's garden, and after a few minutes, it dropped off the fence towards next door. Unfortunately, I lost sight of it then, so don't know if that visit was any more successful than its previous ones.
John Pilkington

Postby Louis the leopard » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:04 am

That's so amazing! I've only ever seen a sparrowhawk in Cyprus but I'm still hoping I might get a sighting in London some day!
Louis the leopard

Postby John Pilkington » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:57 am

After months of apparent absence from our garden, a male Sparrowhawk "flashed" through once again yesterday. Many mid-afternoon visitors, in the shape of Blue tits, Great tits, House Sparrows and Starlings were attending the suspended feeders and scraps of food around the garden, when the Sparrowhawk skimmed the top of the fence, banked hard left to dash towards the rear border shrubs, to where most of the smaller birds were escaping. It almost collided with the mesh fence before turning and departing as quickly as he had arrived, seemingly empty-clawed, and presumably continued its search for an afternoon snack elsewhere. Unsurprisingly, the garden remained empty for an hour or so, before the tits and sparrows, perhaps encouraged by the presence of 5 Jackdaws who had spent several minutes feeding on seeds and fat balls.
John Pilkington

Postby Jisanxw1 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:21 pm

I have never watched this before. It is really amazing.
Jisanxw1

Return to Local Patch Reporters