IN THIS AFRICA SPECIAL ISSUE:
Africa as you've never seen it before.
Behind the scenes with the producers of the blockbuster series.
- Making an epic James Honeyborne reveals how the series came to our screens.
- Killer stork Meet the shoebill – a bizarre bird with a strange parenting style.
- Rhino party Rhinos with a social side.
- Meerkat mimics How drongos began to copy – and trick – the local meerkats.
- Mount Mabu diary Read about the first filming trip to Mozambique’s ‘lost world’.
- Leaping lizard Learn how the crew filmed agama lizards bravely befriending lions.
- Elephant resurrection The drama of a savannah full of baby elephants.
- Snow monkey, fighting frog Filming adventures in the snow-bound Atlas Mountains and sultry Sierra Leone rainforest.
Desperate times for elephants in Zimbabwe, a planned Antarctic reserve is put on ice, and the debate about working Asian elephants. Plus Mark Carwardine on myopic ministers.
In search of goshawks
Conor Jameson is on a mission to unravel the life of this charismatic yet secretive raptor.
In praise of ash
Phil Gates celebrates our iconic ash tree – and asks what impact its disappearance may have.
Discover the US state that’s home to bears, belugas, bald eagles and moose on the loose.
Portfolio: Haunting houses
Kai Fagerström reveals the creatures secretly occupying derelict forest cabins.
An Arctic tern outfoxes a fox.
Travel-writing competition launch
Get writing: you could win a dream safari!
February’s best reads, and Chris Packham reveals his favourite book.
Tales from the Bush
Africa researcher Felicity Egerton has a brush with the law in Sierra Leone.
The Big Question: why are mammals black and white?
Top mammalogist Steve Harris investigates why being piebald frequently pays off.