BBC Wildlife Photographic Grant, sponsored by Kowa
Do you want to break into the world of professional wildlife photography? This new award aims, sponsored by Kowa, aims to find undiscovered talent and unearth exciting new wildlife stories.
The BBC Wildlife Magazine Photographic Grant, sponsored by Kowa, is aimed at new photographers.
Photography has always been an essential part of BBC Wildlife Magazine and we are launching this photographic award to discover exciting new talent.
The winner will get a £5,000 grant to shoot their project and could see their work featured in BBC Wildlife Magazine.
“The final project could take you to any part of the world,” says BBC Wildlife editor Matt Swaine. “The winner could see their work published in this magazine and featured across our digital products. We are incredibly excited to see that story come together.”
In order to win, eligible photographers have to submit a short portfolio of their work as well as a clear feature pitch and an outline of the logistics of their project.
Kowa Sporting Optics are highly appreciated due to their high quality and reliability, which has been achieved through more than half a century of experience and development.
Whether you are a beginner or an experienced professional, Kowa has the right spotting scope or binoculars for you.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUBMIT
Wildlife portfolio You will need to upload 12 wildlife photographs – six from a single wildlife project – to show your technical range, creativity and ability.
Your feature pitch What is the story you want to cover? You need to explain how your story is going to interest and excite the readers of BBC Wildlife Magazine. Tell us why we would put it on our front cover.
Practicalities Your story could be in the UK or abroad. You need to show you understand the logistics of your proposal, have identified any risks and have the best chance of getting the images you need.
How to enter Your entry will be judged on the above criteria. Study the rules (below) carefully and follow the instructions before entering.
*Please note this competition is OPEN to all UK and non-UK residents*
The closing date is 23.59pm on 30 September 2014.
1. Promoter: Immediate Media Company Bristol Ltd.
2. The competition closes at 23.59 on 30 Sept 2014.
3. The competition is open to new talent over 18 years of age except employees of Immediate Media Company and Kowa, as well as their immediate families. Entrants must earn less than £5,000 per annum from their photography to be eligible for entry.
4. This competition is open to all UK and non-UK residents and is subject to the laws of England. Entrants outside the UK must adhere to local laws.
5. Twelve photos must be entered per entrant.
6. The photos must have been taken in the past three years and be your own original work. You must be the owner of the copyright of all photos entered. The Promoter does not accept any liability in the publication of unlawfully reproduced photos.
7. Entrants must not do anything to injure or distress any animals or destroy their habitat in an attempt to secure an image. Entrants are not permitted to submit the following: (i) images that feature farm animals, pets and/or cultivated plants; (ii) images that have been awarded any prize, recommendation or other award in any national or international competition at the time of entry.
8. If the Promoter suspects that an image has been achieved through the use of cruel or unethical practices, including the use of live bait, the entry will be disqualified and the judges reserve the right to report the entrant to the applicable authorities.
9. All photos must be uploaded to our website www.discoverwildlife.com by the closing date.
10. All photos must be submitted as jpegs. Each jpeg should be 1000x700 pixels (or 9x6cm) at 300dpi. Images may be black and white or colour. Composite images are not acceptable.
11. All photos must be labelled with your name and the subject (in this order) in the title.
12. All entries must be accompanied by an online entry form, including full details of your portfolio, feature pitch and detailed travel itinerary.
13. Entrants agree that if they win, their name and county will be published.
14. The Promoter takes no responsibility for corrupted or late entries.
16. By entering your photos in the competition you agree to grant Immediate Media Company and Kowa a non-exclusive licence to reproduce, publish and feature the photos in association with this competition, at any time, in any publication, website or other associated media outlets, without compensation. By entering you agree to grant Immediate Media Company and Kowa an exclusive royalty-free licence to use the full set of images taken on your photography trip for 12 months.
17. The photos will be judged by the BBC Wildlife Magazine editorial team.
18. The judges’ decision on the competition is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
19. The Promoter reserves the right to withhold the prize if, in the opinion of the judges, the quality of entries falls below the standard required. Entries will be judged on the standard of the submitted portfolio, the quality of the feature proposal and the feasibility of the photographic trip.
20. The winner will be notified by 6 January 2015 via email.
21. The winner and other entrants may be featured in the February 2015 issue of BBC Wildlife Magazine (on sale 21 January) and at www.discoverwildlife.com.
22. Up to £5,000 in prize money will be awarded to the winner by Kowa on a mutually agreed date before the winner departs for their project. This money must be used by the winner to fund the cost of the trip, including travel, accommodation, equipment and food. If the cost of the trip is less than £5,000, the remaining balance will be paid to the winner once they have completed the photography project. See point 25 below.
23. The judges and Kowa reserve the right not to pay the remaining balance if the winner does not meet the agreed feature brief for their photography project.
24. To the extent permitted by the law, the Promoter is not liable for any loss, injury or damage to entrants resulting from entry or acceptance of the prize.
25. See www.discoverwildlife.com/kowa-general-terms-and-conditions-2014 for full terms and conditions. They should be read with the rules on this page as they both govern your entry. By submitting an entry you accept the rules and the T&Cs.